Wednesday, April 4, 2007

The mockery of Christ

I am very thankful for this article by John Piper about the willingness of Christ to be mocked. It makes Him different.

Two things make this subject timely to me. First, more than any other week, this week exists for us to remember the suffering of Christ--both his physical and his spiritual sufferings. Let us remember His nature and earnestly seek the grace to be made more like Him--"... becoming like Him in His death and so somehow to attain to the resurrection of the dead."

Second, I am always puzzled by the way that Christ seems to be singularly mocked today. I shouldn't be, but I am. Have you seen "My Sweet Lord," the chocolate statue of Christ which was on display in Manhattan last week? What, if not the work of Spirit, makes a person respond to Christ in such a way that he makes a chocolate statue of Him? There has got to be something deeper going on.

No comments: