Friday, April 27, 2007

Chernobyl, 21 years on

Yesterday was the 21st anniversary of the nuclear disaster at Chernobyl.

In the Ukraine, there is a zone in which it's said nobody can live for a thousand years. While many scientists dispute this claim, Gorbachev has said that no one will live in Chernobyl until Jesus returns.

Our world is broken. Let us pray, for it has been subjected to sin in hope that all will be made right.

I have a link to a photo essay, but I am not going to post it. I looked at it and it is profoundly wrenching. It will ruin your day. It includes pictures from an orphanage in Belarus where the children are suffering severe mental and physical deformities which appear to be linked to the radiation from Chernobyl. If you want to see it, I'll email a link to those who leave a comment. Be warned.

Splitting atoms has so much promise for the good of mankind. I am a strong supporter of nuclear power, but seeing these things and reflecting on Chernobyl gives me pause.

No comments: